Damien Teney Researcher in Computer Vision
Travels & athletics
When I'm not working, I love to travel, and I try to spend most of my time outdoors. I'm very involved in endurance sports (running and cycling mostly), which I see as alternative means of travel and ways to test/push my own physical limits. I have taken part to many marathons, ultramarathons and triathlons up to the ironman distance.
Here are some adventures I'm particularly proud of:
- December 2016: Cycling across Australia from Adelaide to Perth. 2800km (1750mi) in 11 days, over the vast expanses of the Nullarbor desert. A mental as much as a physical challenge ! Pictures and details here.
- December 2015: Hiking across Arizona from Mexico to the Grand Canyon. 800km (500mi) in 3 weeks, walking an average of 50km/day (31mi) in magnificient landscapes: mountains, desert, pine forests... Winter conditions made the logistics challenging but the scenery more than made up for it ! Photo album and more info here.
- August 2015: my new record for a non-stop bike ride, Pittsburgh to Washington DC, 500km (315mi) in 29 hours. Mostly on rail trails (Great Allegheny Passage) and with a folding bike (hence the slow average speed). A fantastic experience, as the bike trails allowed traffic-free riding through 2 consecutive nights.
- May 2015: Cycling across the US from Pittsburgh to Los Angeles. 4700km (3000mi) in 21 days (of which 2 rest days), solo and self-supported, including a notable 340km (212mi) day for crossing the Mojave desert (California) with temperatures above 40deg. Photo album and more info here !
- September 2014: Diagonal crossing of Wales by mountain bike (parts on- and off-road), from Abergavenny in the south-east, across the Brecon Beacons, mid Wales, and Snowdonia, to Bangor in the north-west..
- August 2014: Cycling across the Pyrenees, all the way from Santander in Spain, following the Spanish/French border, over a dozen mountain passes, to Perpignan near the French mediterranean. A bit more than 1000km in a week.
- July 2013: Cycling across the Alps, from Austria, through Switzerland, Italy and to the French riviera; a bit more than 1000km of Alpine roads and mountain passes in just 5 days.
- Summer 2012 and 2013: Two seasons of mountain running races in the Alps (in Austria, Germany, Italy), usually finishing in the top 20% (see below).
- May 2013: My personal record for a fast long ride, cycling from Austria to Belgium, 670 km in just 2 (long !) days (self-supported, i.e. carrying food and luggage).
- January 2012: Cycling through California, about 900km including a ride along the Death Valley and a stretch of Pacific Coast Highway.
- September 2010: West-east traverse of Scotland on foot and by packraft, 250km in less than 6 days, featured in the French magazine Carnets d'Aventure of June 2011.
- August 2009: Crossing of Turkey on foot and by bicycle from south to north (Adana - Samsun).
Race results (running and triathlon)
I enjoy the competitive aspect of races, as it's a great way to measure yourself against other athletes, although I usually prefer to go on original/self-planned challenges of my own. Anyway, if you're curious, and admittedly to satisfy my own ego :) here are my latest results.
- Oscars 100 Hut2hut Trail run, 100 km, 5700 m+ Alpine National Park, Australia February 17, 2017
Results: 20h19, 6th overall
- Heysen 105 Trail run, 105 km South Australia October 22, 2016
Results: 11h36, 5 / 81 overall
- Yurrebilla trail 56k Trail run, 56 km Adelaide, Australia September 25, 2016
Results: 5h31, 6 / 282 overall, 1st in 25-29 age-group
- Adelaide marathon Road run, 42 km Adelaide, Australia August 14, 2016
Results: 3h04, 24 / 435 overall, 4th in 25-29 age-group
- Adelaide 12-hour run Timed run Adelaide, Australia July 9, 2016
Results: 117.6 km, 2nd overall
- Mount Macedon 50km Trail run, 50 km Mount Macedon, Victoria, Australia May 29, 2016
Results: 5h30, 7 overall
- Hubert 55km Trail run, 55 km Wilpena (Flinders Ranges), Australia May 1, 2016
Results: 5h30, 2nd overall
- Gatti Sports Triathlon 800m/25km/6km West Lakes (Adelaide), Australia April 10, 2016
Results: 1h24, 1st in 25-29 age-group
- Architrail Mosan Trail run, 40 km Dinant, Belgium, USA October 4, 2015
Results: 3h35, 1st / 89 overall
- Lost Turkey Trail Marathon Trail run, 42 km Blue Knob State Park, PA, USA August 1, 2015
Results: 4h30, 4 / 100 overall
- Allegheny Front Trail Run 50k Trail run, 50 km Black Moshannon State Park, PA, USA July 25, 2015
Results: 5h41, 5 / 29 overall
- Glacier Ridge 50k Trail run, 50 km Moraine State Park, Pennsylvania, USA May 9, 2015
Results: 5h30, 3rd / 70 overall
- Fools 50k Trail run, 50 km Cuyahoga Valley National Park, Ohio, USA March 29, 2015
Results: 5h02, 7 / 106 overall, 1st in age-group
- Coastal Trail Series: Gower Trail run, 46 km Gower peninsula, Wales November 15, 2014
Results: 4h24, 3rd / 119 overall
- Boucles Ardennaises Trail run, 37 km La Roche-en-Ardenne, Belgium June 7, 2014
Results: 4h04, 6 / 179 overall, 2nd in age-group
- Coastal Trail Series: Flete Trail run, 44 km South Devon, England May 25, 2014
Results: 4h23, 3rd / 76 overall
- Coastal Trail Series: Pembrokeshire Trail run, 45 km Pembrokeshire, Wales May 3, 2014
Results: 4h07, 6 / 103 overall
- Belman triathlon Ironman triathlon, 3.8km/180km/42km Robertville, Belgium September 1, 2013
Results: 12h27, 37 / 71
- Trans d'Havet Trail run, 80 km Valdagno, Italy July 7, 2013
Results: 13h23, 60 / 284 overall
- Cortina trail Trail run, 48 km Cortina d'Ampezzo, Italy June 30, 2013
Results: 5h21, 62 / 636 overall
- Spa-Olne Trail run, 30 km Spa, Belgium April 14, 2013
Results: 2h26, 8 / 210 overall, 4 / 74 in age-group
- Sella Ronda Trail run, 54 km Colfosco, Italy September 15, 2012
Results: 7h04, 19 / 117
- Allgau panorama ultramarathon Trail run, 70 km Sonthofen, Germany August 19, 2012
Results: 8h25, 32 / 294
- Trumer sprint triathlon Short distance triathlon Obertrum, Austria July 21, 2012
Results: 1h30, 70 / 290
- Innsbruck sprint triathlon Short distance triathlon Innsbruck, Austria June 17, 2012
Results: 3rd overall, 1st in age-group
- Maas Marathon Road run, 42 km Visé, Belgium May 13, 2012
- Karwendellauf Trail run, 52 km Karwendel, Austria August 27, 2011
Results: 6h18, 75 / 285